I class today as a day from hell. I won’t go into the details but to give you a hint of how bad it was, here are the top three worst things that happened: three nose bleeds, a waste of petrol and an essay.
As I rushed to find a toilet, clutching my bleeding nose, on a campus I had only been to a few times, I am so glad I had a free hand to grab the lemon meringue cupcake I bought at the SU Cafe. It wasn’t until after the shock and humiliation had worn off from my nose bleed disaster, having returned home, that I realised how lucky I was to have saved the cupcake from its dustbin fate. The cupcake in question wasn’t just any cupcake, it happened to have powers to wipe away the misery that I had accumulated throughout the day. With every bite my worries and depression slowly slipped away.
I share the powers of the cake on my blog because I think everyone should go away, hunt down/bake your own lemon meringue cupcakey, goodness and allow the wonderful taste to brighten your day.
I found a recipe for these cake treats on the BBC website:
Lemon meringue cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- For the cupcake, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla seeds together in a large mixing bowl until pale, fluffy and well combined.
- Crack in the eggs, one at a time, and beat until both are fully incorporated into the mixture.
- Fold in the flour and lemon zest until well combined.
- Place 12 paper or foil cupcake cases into the wells of a muffin tray, then spoon in the cupcake batter. Add a teaspoonful of lemon curd to the top of each cupcakes.
- Bake the cupcakes in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until they are pale golden-brown and spring back when pressed lightly in the centre.
- Meanwhile, for the meringue, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed. Gradually add the sugar, whisking continuously, until stiff peaks form when the whisk is removed and the mixture is thick and glossy.
- When the cakes are cooked, turn off the oven and preheat the grill to its highest setting.
- Spoon the meringue over the cupcakes and tease it into spikes using a fork. Place the cupcakes under the hot grill for 2-3 minutes, or until the meringue is golden-brown.
Hope you all enjoy!